Friday, September 14, 2012

Table Make Over!


Before:


The Best invention ever! Primer for any surface and no roller required!

The base of the table getting is major coating.
         Distressing the edges of the base and top and on the chairs was pretty easy. Fine grit sandpaper.

After all the painting and clear top coating!
A chalk board top!

We got rid of our old glass top table when we moved to Spokane and I have been looking for a year for something that I could make over and love, or just fall in love with at first sight.  Never happened. I was starting to just give up and accept the fact we would be sitting on the floor forever, until one day I was perusing Craigslist and saw this cute solid Maple set. Looked in fairly good sturdy condition and had nice basic shape and style. Even better was the price tag! Less than $100! So I called em up and the table was ours by dinner time!

It was so easy to update. I took the advice of a pinner on Pinterest and got the Rustoleum Universal Primer. It was awesome! Went on easy and I didn't have to sand which saved major time and elbow grease. After I let the primer dry and I repeated a coat and then took a fine grit sandpaper block and distressed the edges on all the pieces. For the top I used Martha Stewart brand Chalkboard paint from Michael's in a brownish grey color. I had this idea that it would be fun to be able to write on the table like at Macaroni Grill. With the original brown showing through the distressed areas, it looked great!  I used Min Wax water based clear coat to top coat and preserve the paint from the hardships of being used on a daily basis(except the chalkboard top). Ta da! Took about 3 days from beginning to end with the coats and time drying. Now its a ton of fun and I remember why we eat at the table! Ha!

No comments: