Monday, June 23, 2014

Air show!

It has been an incredibly long time since I have been to an air show. As a kid, my dad took us to the ones at Nellis AFB whenever they were held. I look back on those fun days with fond memories! So when I found out that the Thunderbirds were going to be at our air show here in Spokane, I was pretty excited! My mom and her husband drove over and our friends the Normans met us there as well.

I was pretty sure that Owen was about to have the best day of his life! He is so into cars, planes, and trains, so all this was going to be right up his alley. As we pulled onto the base there was a prop plane flying and he immediately turned into a jibber jabbering chatterbox. So excited! We were led to our parking spot and as we got out an f-15 jet flew over. I thought Owen was going to love it, but the loud noise immediately sent his hands to his ears and he became a permanent attachment to my leg. For about 20 minutes after the jet had landed and we walked into the show, I tried to convince him that it would no longer be noisy. Eventually he realized that indeed it was now safe to take his hands off his ears. I, however, knew more noise was eventual. hehe.

We walked around and saw those huge cargo planes, smaller prop planes from World War II, some helicopters, and of course a Thunderbird! We also saw a parachute demonstration and got to meet the men in the jump. The kids got to help pack back up one of the parachutes. Emma thought that was pretty cool!

Of course the finale was the Thunderbirds. The music, the atmosphere, the show itself, all made me very nostalgic. Everyone enjoyed them and even Owen who had his hands over his ears the entire time, watched in awe. So much fun!

Owen talked about the air show for a week and if you mention it even now, he will tell you all about the planes! Emma enjoyed it and asked if we could go back the next day. :)  Safe to say everyone enjoyed the air show! Hope to go next year!














No comments: